The memory of a moment when a royal forester in the 16th century stood for the first time on a place of today?s Arboretum Wirty has gone away. Since then people as well as events were passing by. The Swedish Deluge left a lot of charred remains on Staro?ci?ska Island. This particular place was named after its Starosta, the head of Community of Borzechowo. Then the stronghold was rebuild but it was not of any importance any longer. Was it a case of a good host or history itself? Nevertheless in the nearest forest some strange things started to happen. It was the 19th century when numerous huge trees were cut down and their trunks cleared and a glade was made. There a lot of small trees were planted. As they were fruit, the trees seemed to be strange among those planted in surroundings forests.
Thanks to numerous old maps, memories, stories and notes which had been kept by some elder foresters and their friends and relatives it is now possible to discover a lot of secrets which refer to Arboretum Wirty. This particular part of Pomeranian forests is without doubt a collection of legends which have been intriguing since years. One of them was told when Victor Puttrich, Adam Puttrich?s son died. Adam Puttrich was a forest district manager who started to plant such tree species which had been unknown in Poland and Europe so far. One of his greatest achievements is definitely the oldest path in Wirty. Walking towards it one can admire old firs, yews and a thuja which has been called ?a seven-tail cat?. Not only did Adam Puttrich create the oldest and most spectacular alley but he also started to cooperate with Adam Schwappach whose idea was to found some experimental areas. Adam?s son, Victor, continued his father mission in Wirty. At the very beginning there were thirty tree species but the majority of them turned out to be a total disappointment. They came to conclusion that the majority of trees had the best living conditions in their own ?homeland? so there was no use planting them more. The experimental areas were observed until the beginning of the First World War.
In the 1920s, when Poland became an independent country again a few different forest district managers looked after the Forestry Commission of Wirty as well as its small part which was Arboretum. The situation did not change until the end of the Second World War. It is hard to find any information on the experimental areas between 1914-1945. Nevertheless, the forests still remember those who founded them. It is worth mentioning that Victor Puttrich?s grave is regularly visited and renovated when necessary by people who are in charge of Arboretum Wirty. Unfortunately there is no information about the founder of the experimental areas after he had retired. It is known that he moved to Silesia where he died.
When the Second World War finished State Forests started to deliver wood which was necessary to rebuild the country of Poland which was destroyed. As a consequence there was need to convert as much ground into forest as possible. In Wirty there was also a special machine whose aim was to husk seeds indispensible for planting new trees. In the 1950s forest district manager, Szulis?awski, introduced planting a row of new seedlings, enriching the trees collection with many new species. The majority of them came from North America and Asia. Among those one could find Norway Spruce and Chinese Juniper. At that time Forest Research Institute founded some experimental areas with Thujas and Douglas-firs. It was continuation of the activity initiated by Puttrich and Schwappach. There was no more money to invest in forest infrastructure which was undergoing the process of depreciation. In the 1980s an office and a kind of a social building were built. Since then, in Wirty, there has been a plant nursery where plants have been propagated and grown to usable size. Its manager was in charge of the office and social building which has also became a kind of warehouse for seeds.
Later in the 1990s there was the plant nursery modernisation which has given to Wirty a state of seed-selection centre for the Forestry Commission of Kaliska and State Forests.
Nowadays Arboretum Wirty is an amazing place where one can come and relax walking and passing by unique tree species as well as blooming plants. Different people from Poland and abroad do not hesitate to come to Wirty and enjoy the outrageous atmosphere. Two of the main attractions of the park are the sightseeing and didactic paths, which favours ecological educations. Now, Wirty is one of the oldest and the most interesting such places in Poland.
Forest district managers of Wirty and surrounding forests
von Weiskhmann (1853 ? June 30 1867)
Adam Puttrich (July 1, 1867 ? June 30, 1901)
Weilandt Hermann (July 1, 1901 ? April 30, 1906). He was a gardener.
Marter (May 1,1906 - 1920)
Wagnerowski (1920 - 1922)
Maciejowski (1924 - 1931)
Lejczyk (1931 - 1934)
Józef Karney (1934 - 1938)
Borowski (1938 - 1939) until the beginning the Second World War
Feshke (September 1939 - March 1945)
Borowski (April 1945 ? August 15, 1945)
Kazimierz Szulis?awski(August 16, 1945 - October 1950) He founded a new path in 1948
Józef Pozorski (October 1950 ? December 31,1972) the last forest district manager of the Forestry Commission Of Wirty
Tadeusz Zió?kowski(January 1,973 ? December 31, 1981) After the process of reorganisation of State Forests on January 1, 1973 Wirty has become a part of the Forestry commission of Kaliska.
Jan Brzezi?ski ( January 1,1982 ? December 31, 1985)
Krzysztof Frydel (from February 1, 1986)
? First mention of Plant Nursery
in today?s park part of Arboretum Wirty.
? Adam Puttrich becomes a forest district manager of the Forestry Commission of Wirty ?Oberförsterei Wirthy?.
? Planting exotic tree species for the first time
Years 1887 - 1897:
? Forest district manager Adam Puttrich started his cooperation with professor Adam Schwappach ?first experimental areas were made . The oldest are: champion oak and sessile oak
Years 1890 - 1900:
? Rotary encoder and observation of planted in earlier years species such as: Pinus rigida, Pseudotsuga menziesii i Thuja plicata.
? ?Forest botanical notebook? was published ( an original title Forstbotanisches Merkbuch ) )- a set of interesting and protected self-sown trees nad bushes with 22 pictures It was published by Borntraeger brothers in Germany.
Years 1904 - 1907:
? Observation and measurement of the trees growth on experimental areas made between 1880-1900
? Observation and measurement of the trees growth on experimental areas made between 1887-1897 by Adam Schwapach
? Annual dendrological convention of German dendrologists - ?Royal forest In Wirty with its forest district manager, Mr. Marter. The forest is seen as an amazing stand of firs with straight and high trunks. It also has a great stand of red Beecher and thujas. Even the biggest and the oldest trees in Germany do not dazzle us as the trees In Wirty. It is amazing that in Wirty one can find some examples of Checker Trees, which provide us with fruit and valuable wood. ?
(L. Beißner 1911)
Years 1914 - 1918:
? The First World War It is a time of stagnation. Foresters get some wood and renew some logging areas . When the war is coming to an end Germans make necessary preparation to transfer forests to Polish forest district managers.
Years 1920 - 1922:
? Forestry Commission of Wirty becomes an official name whose forestry district manager is Mr. Wegnerowski
? A plan of management for Forestry Commission of Wirty
? Measurement done on experimental areas of champion oak (repeated in 1953, 1984, 1999).
? Exotic species of our forest? published by Mr. Maciejewski, forestry district manager
Years 1939 - 1945:
? The Second World War -Arboretum Wirty is managed by a German forestry district manager. There is no information about any works done on experimental areas.
? A row of new seedlings has been brought to the plant nursery.
One of the path his named after the then forest ranger, Mr. Szulis?awski.
Years 1952 - 1955:
? Forestry district manager, Józef Pozorski set up an alpine garden by the pond in Arboretum
? Stocktaking done by Mr. W?odzimierz Seneat after extremely freezing Winter. Its results are published in 1963.
? Reorganisation in State Forests, as a result there is the end of Forestry Commission of Wirty. Areas which used to be part of the mentioned above commission are a part of Forestry Commission of Kaliska from now on.
Years 1974 - 1975:
? Forest Rsearch Institute sets up new experimental areas of Douglas-fir
? Arboretum Wirty begins its cooperation with Institute of Dendrology Polish Academy of Sciences in Kórnik
Years 1985 - 1990:
? As aresult of cooperation with the mentioned above institution new experimental areas are set up. They contain: Pseudotsuga menziesii, Larix gmelinii, Pinus ponderosa, Abies procera, Pinus strobus, Abies grandis, Tsuga canadensis, Pinus Jeffrei, Picea rubens, Pinus rigida i Picea mariana.
? People start to visit Arboretum
? Change of the name into Plant Nursery and Arboretum Wirty. It is the first place in State Forests whose aim is to promote proecological forest policy.
? Arboretum Wirty becomes a part of Botanical Gardens Council. A new greenhouse is bulit
? 75th convention of Dendrological Section is organised in Wirty
? Chief Executive Officer of State Forests unveils a special
? Bishop Edward Janiak plants an oak whose seeds were blessed by John Paul
? Arboretum Wirty gets a status of Botanical Garden
?Arboretum Wirty starts its cooperation with Agricultural Academy of Szczecin
? Opening of a new educational building
? New porter?s lodge is built next to the main entrance. Paths are fixed and hardened. New fence is 2340 metres long.
? President of Poland Lech Walesa visits Arboretum Wirty. He plants a memoral tree (Quercus robur).
? 4th International Conference of Botanic Gardens from the Baltic Sea Region is organised in Wirty